{image_alt}
{image_alt}

Sanctuary

The only surviving interior photograph of the building as it appeared in its first incarnation as a synagogue, from the July 26, 1903 Washington Times, helped guide the restoration of the building undertaken in 1970. The sanctuary occupies the two upper floors of the building. Much of its woodwork—the floors, window trim, wainscoting, stair railings and doors—is original.