{image_alt}
{image_alt}

Marble Lunette

A marble lunette set into a recessed, semicircular opening above the front central window bears the Hebrew inscription “Adas Israel Congregation” and the year the building was erected, 5636, a Jewish calendar date that corresponds to 1876. This block helped identify the building in the 1960s and led to its rescue after the building was slated for demolition.

The lunette has since been removed for conservation treatment.