{image_alt}

Courtesy of Washingtoniana Division, Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Library

{image_alt}

Courtesy of the Historical Society of Washington, D.C.

Building Reconfigured

Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral occupied the building from about 1910 to 1920 (this photograph shows a priest conducting services in front of the historic synagogue’s ark). It was one of three churches to use the sanctuary after Adas Israel sold the building. The first floor was home to a succession of small shops, including A. Litteri Italian market, Henry F. Seamark’s bicycle shop, Funger’s grocery, Octagon Soap Premium Store, and the Veterans market. The below late-1940s photograph shows the entrance to the Purity Food Shop, a carryout restaurant that occupied the first floor of the building along Sixth Street.