Congregations

The collections include photographs, correspondence, scrapbooks, anniversary programs, and memorabilia documenting synagogues in Washington, Maryland, and Northern Virginia from 1869 to the present. Collection highlights include:

Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah Congregation

Learn more about the collection, which includes materials dated 1890s to 2007, and the congregation's history.

Flyer from Congregation Ohev Sholom in Yiddish and English about a meeting to re-elect the cantor and engage a choir for the High Holidays, 1927.

JHSGW Collections. Gift of Ohev Sholom.

Label reads:

September 28, 1948

Presentation of Jewish and American flags to Congregation Talmud Torah by Morgenstein and Munitz

Rabbi Joshua Klaven
President Morris David Dachman
Vice Pres. Henry Edlowitz
Treasurer Al Morgenstein

JHSGW Collections. Gift of Ohev Sholom.

Shomrei Shabbos Mural, 1920s

In Spring 2014, we learned a former synagogue building at 415 M Street, NW, was going to be converted to condos, and Washington, D.C., would lose its only known synagogue mural. Thanks to a successful fundraising campaign, we rescued the mural's original parts. Read the publicity

JHSGW Collections.

Washington Hebrew Congregation Eternal Light, 1898

Caroline King donated this brass  ner tamid (eternal light) to Washington Hebrew Congregation in memory of her late husband, Henry King, Jr.

King had been largely responsible for campaigning and fundraising for the congregation's 1898 synagogue building in his role as congregational president.

Learn more about King and how the Society came to have this object.

JHSGW Collections. Gift of Robert Reich.