Background: Bernard Rich opened a men’s clothing store at 1322-1324 Seventh Street, NW, in 1869. His sons Louis and Max soon joined the business. In 1894, B. Rich & Sons became a family shoe shop and, four years later, moved into the four-story building they had built at 10th & F Streets, NW.
Rich’s Shoes remained at 10th & F for more than half a century, becoming a downtown landmark. In addition to this main store, Rich’s opened a branch in Georgetown by 1954 and another in Chevy Chase Shopping Center two years later. In 1961, the downtown shop relocated a few blocks west to a modern, new store at 1319-21 F Street, NW. A final branch opened in Farragut Square in 1968.