Second Synagogue Move

{aside_1}On November 3, 2016, the historic 1876 synagogue was moved 50 feet west to allow for construction work associated with Capitol Crossing, a multi-use development project. The Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum will remain on this site for a few years until its final site at the southeast corner of Third & F Streets, NW, is ready. There, it will become the focal point of a new Jewish museum.

The event was covered by local and national media, including The Washington Post and New York Times. A complete list of links is available at our Newsroom.

We are grateful to have two timelapse videos of the move:

 

Beyer Blinder Belle caught the move from the other direction, check it out here.

 

And here is a selection of photos from the event, including our VIP reception:

1876 Synagogue Moves SECOND Time