Save the Synagogue Mural
at 415 M Street
WE MET OUR GOAL!
Thanks to many generous donors,
we raised $20,000
to rescue original portions of Washington's
only known synagogue mural!
The mural's shimmering Star of David and Hebrew quote have been removed and placed safely in crates. Painted almost 90 years ago, this mural decorated the sanctuary of Shomrei Shabbos, a small orthodox community in downtown Washington.
The mural is the remaining portion of a larger piece that once surrounded the synagogue's ark. In 1993, as if peeling back layers of time, the then-owner rediscovered the mural hidden beneath layers of old paint and wallpaper. With help from an artist and guidance from the Jewish Historical Society, she worked to restore the celestial scene, Jewish star, and a portion of the biblical quote that encircled the ark – and added a winged lion. In 2013, BlackRock Holdings, a custom-home building company based in McLean, VA, purchased the building. Conversion of the property into a multi-family condominium is now in progress.
In The Media
District Source | Washington Jewish Week
Washington Jewish Week | PreservationNation | The Forward
WAMU 88.5 FM |
The InTowner | Boundary Stones (WETA)
From Under the Fig Tree | District Source
Download Press Release (PDF)
About 415 M Street, NW
415 M Street is one of five former synagogues clustered in the Penn Quarter and Mount Vernon Square neighborhoods, the historic heart of Washington's Jewish community. For about a century, the downtown Jewish community was part of a diverse, polyglot population that included Germans, Chinese, African Americans, and others.
Built in the 1860s, the story of 415 M is the story of the many communities that have made Washington, D.C., home. Originally a private house, the building became the Young Men's Hebrew Association in 1914, and, from 1915-1925, the first Hebrew Home for the Aged. After Shomrei Shabbos, the Jewish congregation, left in the 1930s, the Baptist Church of Jesus Christ made 415 M its home, and in 1984 the Metropolitan Community Church, a ministry to the LGBT community, took over the space. In 1993, the building once again became a private home, and has since been added to the Mount Vernon Square Historic District.
WATCH 415 M, film produced by
former building resident
and filmmaker Stephanie Slewka
Photo courtesy of