Join & Support: Become a Docent
What is a Docent?
Docents lead tours for individual and group visitors, educating them about the 1876 historic synagogue and the Jewish history of the surrounding neighborhood, from the 1850s to today. They also lead tours of exhibitions and walking tours and help with some children and family programs
The Docent Training Program includes:
- Training sessions
- Opportunities to assist at programs and events
- Opportunities to assist with children’s programs
The Society calls upon Docents on an as-needed basis, when groups or individuals make advance requests for tours and programs. Docents are asked to volunteer for at least four hours per month.
- A desire to learn about Washington Jewish history and share that history with others
- Some experience with public speaking and/or teaching children and adults
To apply, please send the following:
- A brief letter describing why you are interested in serving as a Docent and your area of preference (adult or children’s tours)
- Two references
- Resume, if one is available
An interview with the Society is required. The Society will contact you to schedule an interview.
For information about volunteering as a docent, or to receive an application, please contact us at (202) 789-0900 or email Info@jhsgw.org