Washington’s historic Jewish burial grounds are located in Southeast.
Adas Israel acquired its cemetery almost immediately after its 1869 founding. Washington Hebrew also made a cemetery a first priority. It purchased a small plot on Hamilton Road (now Alabama Avenue, SE) in the early 1850s, before moving to an area adjacent to Adas Israel’s land in 1879. Ohev Sholom purchased land nearby by 1895.
Members of other congregations typically purchased plots through fraternal organizations. Landsleit (countrymen) from Elesavetgrad in Russia bought burial plots together in the early twentieth century and named the cemetery for their Russian home. They offered space to fraternal groups and smaller congregations.
Commercially-run cemeteries offered plots in the more spacious suburbs for congregations and unaffiliated Jews. Recently, Washington Hebrew Congregation organized a 152-acre nonprofit cemetery, Garden of Remembrance (Gan Zikaron) Memorial Park, in Clarksburg, Maryland. It opened for use by the entire Washington area Jewish community in 2000.