Founded in 1944, the Hebrew Academy of Washington offered an integrated program of religious and secular education.
The only all-day Jewish school in Washington at the time, Hebrew Academy was part of a larger national movement committed to providing students with a solid Jewish education while also preparing them to participate in the broader American community.
The Academy quickly outgrew the residential buildings off Georgia Avenue where it first held classes. It moved to the vacant Curtis School in Georgetown in 1946. School leaders began raising funds for a new school closer to the homes of families who were moving uptown.
In 1951, the Academy dedicated a new brick and limestone building at 16th Street and Fort Stevens Drive, NW, where it remained until moving to Silver Spring in 1976. In 1999, the Academy moved into its newly renovated Aspen Hill campus.
In 2002, the Jewish Primary Day School of the Nation’s Capital purchased the 16th Street building, returning Jewish learning to the site after more than twenty-five years.