In 1939, twenty Brightwood residents organized Agudath Achim. Their upper Northwest neighborhood was popular among Jews moving north along the 7th Street/Georgia Avenue corridor.
The following year the traditionally observant congregation bought a house on Quackenbos Street, NW. A growing membership prompted the purchase in 1945 of property only blocks away at 13th and Tuckerman Streets, NW.
The congregation considered merging with Ohev Sholom and Tifereth Israel and building a large synagogue on the land. These plans were rejected and Agudath Achim built their own synagogue, which they dedicated in 1958.
That same year, Conservative Congregation Har Tzeon in Wheaton completed its new home on Old Bladensburg Road (now University Boulevard). Founded in 1951 by young families who had settled in the postwar suburb of Wheaton, the congregation had previously met in leased space.
Two friends brought the congregations together in 1977. Har Tzeon board member Sol Freishstat owned a corset shop on F St., NW, doors away from a shoe store run by Sol Postal, on the board of Agudath Achim. Freishtat and Postal proposed a merger to benefit both congregations. The 500-family Congregation Har Tzeon-Agudath Achim continues to meet on University Boulevard today.