Beth Sholom Congregation and Talmud Torah was formed in 1936 by the merger of two small Orthodox congregations.
In 1936, Voliner Anshe Sfard, founded in 1908 on 4 ½ Street in Southwest, merged with Har Zion Congregation, created in 1920 along the Georgia Avenue corridor in Petworth. When the new congregation incorporated in 1936, it adopted the name Beth Sholom (House of Peace) to symbolize the peaceful relations that brought them together.
Two years later, the new congregation dedicated a synagogue at 8th and Shepherd Streets, NW. They remained there for eighteen years. In 1956, the synagogue followed its membership farther north. Beth Sholom completed a new building at 13th Street and Eastern Avenue, NW, in 1958
Beth Sholom’s move to suburban Maryland occurred in phases. In 1972, the congregation broke ground for a Hebrew school and a small chapel on a 3.3-acre site on Seven Locks Road in Potomac. Families followed and attendance at the Potomac site increased. While the congregation grew in Potomac, Beth Sholom also maintained a Washington location for those who remained in the Eastern Avenue neighborhood.
Stages of renovation and building over twenty-five years have resulted in an expansive modern facility that now accommodates more than 500 families in this thriving modern Orthodox community.